Some kind of general store in Solsberry has served the needs of residents from the surrounding countryside for generations. A trio of Yoho brothers, Frank, Oscar and William, first opened a general store in the 1904. That store, the Yoho Brother’s General Store, burned in 1933.
In 1934, a new general store was built across the street and after several ownership changes, it became the Yoho General Store. Otis Sullivan operated the first store until 1939. From 1940 to 1944, the general store was known Rotha Sim’s Rainbow Store. In 1944, Wayne Sherrow and Fred Cooksey operated the store until Dwight “Cotton” Yoho, Oscar’s son, bought out Fred in 1947. The store operated as Sherrow-Yoho until 1950 when Cotton bought out Wayne.
From 1950 until their deaths, Cotton and his wife Pearl operated the store. On their deaths (Cotton in 1999 and Pearl in 2000), their youngest son, Donnie, operated the store until his passing in 2011. Lavon Yoho, Cotton and Pearl’s oldest son, kept the store open until selling the building to CFC Properties, a Cook Group company, in 2012.
An extensive restoration project began in July. On December 1, 2012, Cook and Yoho family members along with CFC Properties representatives officially reopened the Yoho General Store with a ribbon-cutting ceremony, attended by hundreds of local community members.